Reprinted with permission of Life Extension®.:
Promotes healthy liver function
European Milk Thistle with Advanced Phospholipid Delivery is
a potent weapon to support liver health. Milk thistle optimizes liver
function and supports the body’s natural detoxification pathways and is
safe for daily use.
Benefits at a Glance
Powerfully Supports Liver Health
- Promotes liver health
- Optimizes liver function and supports the body’ natural detoxification pathways
- Advanced phospholipid delivery system increases active compounds in the liver
- Provides standardized concentrations of silybin and isosilybin A and B not found in other milk thistle extracts
The active extract of milk thistle, called silymarin, is a
mixture of flavonolignans, and includes silydianin, silychristin, and
silybin, with silybin being the most biologically active.1
Silymarin has shown to be one of the most potent substances in
promoting liver health. Its main benefits appear to be support of
healthy DNA function, stabilization of plasma membranes, and stimulation
of liver cells.2-6 It has also been shown to inhibit lipid
peroxidation and inhibit glutathione depletion induced by liver toxins,
even increasing total glutathione levels in the liver by 63% over
Phosphatidylcholine Enhances Milk Thistle’s Delivery
Until recently, the technology hasn’t been available to fully harness the complete benefits of milk thistle extract.8 The problem has been the main component of milk thistle, called silybin, does not dissolve well in water.9,10 This makes it difficult for your body to absorb all of it.9,11
Scientists have developed a novel technology to overcome
silybin’s poor bioavailability. The solution is to mix silybin with a
nutrient called phosphatidylcholine.
Phosphatidylcholine facilitates transport across the intestinal
lining into the bloodstream, making it an ideal “carrier molecule” for
silybin.11-13 Scientists believe that phosphatidylcholine
molecularly bonds to silybin steering it through the membranes of cells
in the intestinal tract.11
This silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex is absorbed up to five times better than silymarin alone, and its ultimate bioavailability to the liver, its target organ, is up to ten-fold greater than silymarin alone.14-16
This innovative milk thistle extract with phosphatidylcholine contains standardized concentrations of silybin and isosilybin A and B not found in other milk thistle extracts! Compare the price of European Milk Thistle to commercial silymarin supplements, and you’ll see that this formula is available at one of the lowest costs per milligram.
- Pharmacol Res. 1992 Feb-Mar;25(2):147-54.
- Eur Cytokine Netw. 2013 Jul-Sep;24(3):114-21.
- J Neurosci Res. 2015 May;93(5):755-65.
- Phytother Res. 2004 Feb;18(2):107-10
- Skin Pharmacol. 1995;8(6):279-91.
- Przegl Lek. 2012;69(8):541-3.
- Planta Med. 1989 Oct;55(5):420-2.
- Pak J Pharm Sci. 2008 Jul;21(3):249-54.
- Altern Med Rev. 2005 Sep;10(3):193-203.
- Indian J Pharmacol. 2007;39(4):172-79.
- Altern.Med Rev. 2009;14(3):226-46.
- Nat Struct Biol. 2002 Jul;9(7):507-11.
- World J Gastroenterol. 2011 May 14;17(18):2288-301
- Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet.1992 Jan-Mar;17(1):39-44.
- Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet.1990;15(4):333-38.
- Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet.1993 Jul-Sep;18(3):289-97.